Civil Partnership Dissolution

Civil Partnership Dissolution

If your civil partnership has broken down, our specialist family lawyers are on hand to help you through the dissolution process. With an outstanding track record of helping same-sex couples through dissolution matters, we are on hand to help you when you need us most.

For advice and support relating to civil partnership dissolution, please call our family solicitors today on 01256 630080.

Civil partnership dissolution solicitors

Our specialist family lawyers are able to help and support those who wish to end their civil partnership or need advice regarding a same sex relationship. We specialise in providing advice and representation for dissolution proceedings and have many years of experience in working with couples who are separating.

Through our regional offices located around Surrey, Berkshire, Hampshire and Wiltshire, we’re able to provide representation in dissolution proceedings occurring anywhere in the country. We have the experience and ability to provide that representation regardless of where a person lives, at home or abroad, if the proceedings are to take place within England or Wales.

Need Expert Advice? Contact Our Family Lawyers

How do I end my civil partnership?

The rules governing the dissolution of same sex marriages and civil partnerships are substantively the same as heterosexual marriages, with similar consideration needing to be given to the finances and children.

A civil partnership can be brought to an end by dissolution but is not dissolved until a Dissolution Order is granted by the court. The pronouncement of a Dissolution Order cancels all legal duties and responsibilities of the civil partnership and essentially ends the legal contract between the couple.

The dissolution process does not include making final arrangements for children or financial settlement. Although often very relevant to a separating couple, these arrangements are in addition to the dissolution itself and can be dealt with either by agreement or by applications to court if agreements cannot be reached.

What are the grounds for dissolution?

There is only one ground for dissolution of the partnership and that is that it has irretrievably broken down. However, the person applying for the dissolution must choose one of four facts to prove that the relationship has broken down.

  • A partner has behaved in such a way that a person cannot be reasonably expected to live with them any longer. This can include having a relationship with another person. This is known as unreasonable behaviour.
  • A person has been deserted by their partner for a period of 2 years. This is known as desertion.
  • A couple have lived apart for at least 2 years immediately preceding the commencement of the dissolution process and there is consent to the Dissolution Order being granted. This is known as 2 years separation with consent.
  • A couple have lived apart for at least 5 years immediately preceding the commencement of the dissolution process and for this no consent is required. This is known as 5 years separation.

Civil partnership dissolution - Further information

Same sex partners can find themselves in complicated parenting situations particular when children from a former heterosexual relationship are involved and where there are children from a new same sex relationship. It is important to work out whether you have parental responsibility if you are in a same sex couple and are separating.

Parental responsibility gives you the legal right to make decisions about issues such as your child’s education, religion and medical treatment. It also means you have to consult with – or be consulted on such decisions by – the other legal parent.

Birth mothers automatically get parental responsibility for a child from birth, but fathers or partners may not. Our expert lawyers will be able to advise you on this and what your options are.

The birth certificate will record the birth mother as the ‘mother’ and her partner as a ‘parent’. No father’s details will (or can) be recorded if two women are named on the birth certificate.

It is now possible for same-sex couples in the UK to adopt a child together. Couples can apply to adopt through a local authority or an adoption agency.

You do not have to live in the local authority you apply to. Our family lawyers can guide you through all the legalities of the adoption process.

Contact our family lawyers today

Our wealth of knowledge in family law and civil partnership dissolution allows us to deliver practical solutions for our clients. Whether you would like to start the dissolution process or gain answers to pressing questions, feel free to contact our expert family lawyers on 01256 630080.

With offices located in Reading, Portsmouth, Basingstoke, Guildford, Salisbury, Camberley and Southampton, Child Law Partnership have a strong regional presence and offer reliable legal advice on civil partnership dissolution matters.

How Can We Help?

Please complete your details below and our experts will be in touch shortly.

    Your data is safe and secure